Things I printed this week #2

Continuing my cartesian love most of the printing this week is for my refurb of a printer I bought from a friend months ago but haven’t really touched till now.

All of the following have¬†been printed with Excelvan black 1.75mm PLA filament. You can get it cheap on ebay for about ¬£11. It’s great for functional prints and leaves a really nice finish. That said there has been some strange flaws in the prints which effects the aesthetic. I have used other filaments and not noticed such flaws so I have to put it down to the filament.

So to end this tangential mini filament review I’ll say it’s cheap, and great for functional prints but I’d be concerned about using it for professional jobs/commissions.

And with that out of the way, on to the prints.

Prusa i3 LM8UU Y axis bearing mount

Print settings (with link to source model)

So I printed some bearing mounts last week but when I got to fitting them, they didn’t seem to have a tight enough grip on the bearing. This could be a design flaw, or a print flaw but I din’t have the time to experiment so these looked like a viable alternative.

Prusa i3 LM8UU Y axis bearing mount
Prusa i3 LM8UU Y axis bearing mount

And I was correct, they were a really tight fit and when I reattached the bed to the printer, the wobble was gone. I really happy with the result. Great model.

Wade L3K Extruder

Print settings (with link to source model)

This was fun to print. I had a cheap E3D clone to convert this printer from 3.0mm to 1.75mm filament and needed a new extruder for it. This one seemed popular on Thingiverse so I gave it a try.

Printed the body in 20% infill to test for potential problems, turned out this was a good decision because when slicing the supports the model had built-in, Cura failed to include a thin wall leaving a massive gap where supports should be.

So for the final I printed it with 100% infill and supports ‘everywhere’. Wanted a nice, strong part.

When assembled it became apparent that the clamp for the hotend didn’t quite fit to the extruder body (as you can see in the image). It could be that I’m not using a genuine E3D hotend but I don’t think so because eveything else lines up correctly including feeding filament.

I’m going to try and print this again later in the future.

Wade L3K Extruder
Wade L3K Extruder

The Hammerhead – Handheld Kinect Grip

Print settings (with link to source model)

I’ve been wanting to do this for months. The low cost of the Kinect these days and it’s awesome capabilities have had me wanting to build a handheld 3D scanner for some time. Thankfully lots of other people have too so standing on the shoulders of giants I printed out this really cool handheld grip.

Handheld Kinect Grip
Handheld Kinect Grip

100% infill with supports ‘touching buildplate’. The AR-15 grip prints upside down and it looks very cool while printing. It prints so far out but so gradually that by the last inch your wondering how it doesn’t fall over.

Now I just need some imperial nuts and bolts to assemble it and continue this project.

The Hammerhead
AKA The Hammerhead

Conclusion

That a fun week in printing. It really is satisfying to print something that has a function. Continuing along this trend, next weeks prints are most likely to be for my other cartesian printer. Looking to do similar improvements to the Y carriage and fit a dual extrusion system.

Until next time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *