Prusa i3 Rework Refurb

So months ago I bought an i3 Rework from the friend that got me into 3D printing. My first printer is an i3 Rework so I could apply the knowledge I already had working on that. While this has been sitting there I had built a Kossel Mini and bought a kit to upgrade my first printer to a dual extrusion system.

When I finally had some free time I decided to spend some time refurbing it and making it compatible with 1.75mm filament.

Prusa i3 Rework pre-refurb
Prusa i3 Rework pre-refurb.

Now using what I learned building and using the delta I noticed there were some glaring problems with my cartesian printers. The Y-carriage is unstable and wobbly, this is mostly due to the cable ties connecting the bed to the bearings.

Fitted LM8UU bearing mount
Fitted LM8UU bearing mount

The solution (as readers of the previous posts may have guessed) was to print out a bearing mount and after trying out a second design I had found a one which worked. I also fitted new LM8UU bearings, just in case.

I double checked the measurements on the Y-frame to ensure they were not only accurate but flat on the surface.

Checking measurements on Y-frame.
Checking measurements on Y-frame.

I also had to print out a new extruder (check out my previous post). The only change I made from the previous post was to add some washers to the springs on the extruder idler to apply more force.

Wade L3K Extruder
Wade L3K Extruder

I added a reprapdiscount full graphic smart controller, I also fitted a glass build plate and made sure all the nuts and bolts were tight (as they need to be).

The (mostly) finished refurb.
The (mostly) finished refurb.

Well that’s it for now. Next time I’ll be going through the firmware and extrusion issues.

Until next time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *